- Big engine update expected from Red Bull
- Hulkenberg on where Renault is lagging behind
- Wolff: It feels like s*** right now
- Ronaldo? Messi? This player is putting them both to shame!
- Real Madrid turn down £42m Liverpool offer
- Journalist to replace Enrique at Barcelona? Surely not!
- ‘I know what went wrong with Alonso’
- EPL QUIZ: Longest-serving players by the club
- Serena poses in bikini, gets titled ‘perfect body’
- Nadal reveals his biggest fear
Fan pesters Garcia into dream date
- Updated: January 31, 2017
Poor Sergio Garcia! The world No. 15 was recently the target of an incredibly determined, passionate and wistful campaign by a 40-year-old fan of his who was determined to caddy for him come hell or high water.
Over more than 200 days starting on July 9 last year, Mark Johnson, an Englishman pestered Garcia with daily tweets; some funny, others inspiring and informative and yet others despairing. they all went unanswered.
They additionally came bearing the really descriptive and wistful hashtag: ‘letmecaddieforyou’.
For the first 205 times, no response or even acknowledgement was given by Garcia as the tweet assault wore on. Then, on the 206th day, Garcia wilted and sent the the besotted fan an invite.
‘OK,’ posted Garcia to Johnson, ‘I think I found the perfect day for you to get the taste of carrying my bag & make your dream come true! Are you ready?’
“I thought it was quite funny and it was very sincere, and obviously I was wondering how long it was going to keep going. It ended up being nearly seven months.
“He showed a lot of perseverance and a lot of strength and energy and stuff throughout it,” Garcia said. “I’m sure it will be a great experience for him, and you know, also for us.”
The oh-so-lucky Johnson himself had a tongue-in-cheek response at the weekend, saying, “I guess there will be no more daily tweets. Many thankyous Sergio Garcia for making my dream come true I am feeling very lucky.”