- Palmer points to teammate that Hamilton would love to have
- Alonso takes a dig at Honda and points to troubles for Toro Rosso
- Hamilton on why Mercedes will triumph in 2018 and it is not due to the W09
- Alonso reveals why he did not quit F1 despite leaning towards exit
- Vettel offers crisp reply to Ferrari critics
- Hamilton’s ‘oompa loompa’ ex-girlfriend reveals champion’s strange toilet demand
- Hamilton helps Mercedes bag sponsorship deal
- Verstappen responds to Wolff’s early season prediction
- Ferrari boss opens door to staying in F1 if Liberty Media follows instruction
- Halo not disturbing drivers’ vision, but glaring problem remains
Fittipaldi gives one simple reason for backing Alonso to win 2018 world title
- Updated: November 1, 2017
Formula One legend and two-time champion Emerson Fittipaldi believes that Fernando Alonso has a realistic chance of winning the world championship in 2018, especially since the Spaniard could have a title-winning car on his hands.
McLaren will switch from Honda to Renault power for 2018, and Fittipaldi thinks that could be the Alonso needs to get back to the podium.
“I think it will be much better,” Fittipaldi, 70, a two-time world champion in the 1970s, told Spanish AS newspaper. “I think Fernando is the best, and I also think McLaren has a great car,” Fittipaldi told reporters at the Mexican Grand Prix.
“As Alonso said the other day, it is a great car in the corners. So if they continue with that quality of chassis and aerodynamics with the Renault engine next year, they can fight for podiums, victories and even the title.”
Fittipaldi also took the time to praise Carlos Sainz, who he believes has the potential of being a great in the sport.
“He is in a good place with Renault, and I see him going step by step to the top,” he said. “The future is his along with drivers like (Max) Verstappen.”