- Palmer points to teammate that Hamilton would love to have
- Alonso takes a dig at Honda and points to troubles for Toro Rosso
- Hamilton on why Mercedes will triumph in 2018 and it is not due to the W09
- Alonso reveals why he did not quit F1 despite leaning towards exit
- Vettel offers crisp reply to Ferrari critics
- Hamilton’s ‘oompa loompa’ ex-girlfriend reveals champion’s strange toilet demand
- Hamilton helps Mercedes bag sponsorship deal
- Verstappen responds to Wolff’s early season prediction
- Ferrari boss opens door to staying in F1 if Liberty Media follows instruction
- Halo not disturbing drivers’ vision, but glaring problem remains
- Updated: May 13, 2017
For all you Mercedes fans, there comes great news from Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas. Both drivers saw the upgraded W08, which came armed to Spain with a whole host of aerodynamic changes. Did they like it? They loved it!
Mercedes have set the early standard at the Circuit de Catalunya with Hamilton and Bottas finishing P1 and P2 respectively in both free practice sessions on Friday.
And Hamilton, who cut such a frustrated figure in Sochi after being so far off the pace, was delighted with his initial efforts this weekend.
“The team has done an amazing job with the upgrades and the car is working just as we expected,” said Hamilton.
“It’s been a much better start to the weekend for me than in Sochi so I’m very happy.
“We’ve just got to keep our heads down and keep working, we want to be number one.”
Bottas was just as happy as Hamilton, saying that “everything seems to be working well”.
“Today was an important one for us with the new upgrade package on the car,” Bottas added.
“Our target was to evaluate if the new upgrades are working well and it seems like they are.
“At this time it’s way too early to tell exactly where we are, but everything seems to be working well so far.
“It’s always nice to start the weekend in a positive way, but the main days are Saturday and Sunday.
“As always we will work hard to find any performance. I really enjoyed it out there today so I hope we can squeeze more performance out of the package.”