- Palmer points to teammate that Hamilton would love to have
- Alonso takes a dig at Honda and points to troubles for Toro Rosso
- Hamilton on why Mercedes will triumph in 2018 and it is not due to the W09
- Alonso reveals why he did not quit F1 despite leaning towards exit
- Vettel offers crisp reply to Ferrari critics
- Hamilton’s ‘oompa loompa’ ex-girlfriend reveals champion’s strange toilet demand
- Hamilton helps Mercedes bag sponsorship deal
- Verstappen responds to Wolff’s early season prediction
- Ferrari boss opens door to staying in F1 if Liberty Media follows instruction
- Halo not disturbing drivers’ vision, but glaring problem remains
- Updated: June 7, 2017
Formula One’s proposed ‘shield’ cockpit has got the backing of Red Bull’s Adrian Newey, but has said that it should be implemented as soon as possible since time is running out for teams to incorporate it in their 2018 designs.
After all the teams in the sport checked out the halo last year, the device was shelved as the FIA’s preferred method and replaced by the shield, with a view to its introduction next season.
The shield will be put into practice later this year, albeit in practice sessions. The Italian Grand Prix will see this development for the first time as talks between teams and the governing body about the concept took a positive turn in Monaco last month.
Newey, whose team led development of the aeroscreen last year, said that as long as there are no visibility issues, he would be happy to see the shield being implemented for 2018.
“I think it’s a better solution than the halo, that’s for sure,” he told Autosport.
“I think the first thing with the shield is to check the visibility, to see if it’s a viable option.
“If the distortion is too much, then it’s a non-starter, obviously.
“In terms of then having a closed cockpit, I don’t think that’s such a big thing to be honest.
“But I think it’s getting quite tight for 2018.”
Newey also said that he would like to see more work conducted on reducing the risks associated with lost wheels and other major parts, beyond a single cockpit protection device.
“I feel that there are things that can be done to minimise the risk, particularly from flying wheels or debris,” Newey added.
“The tethers on the wheels aren’t 100% at the moment, we still occasionally see wheels coming off.
“IndyCar has tethered other things, such as the front wing, nosebox and rear wing, and so forth.
“That seems to me to be a good interim solution.
“We’ve raised it, but there’s not been a lot of action so far. I guess it’s all in discussion.”