Report: Honda to cut deal with Sauber

motorsport.com

Honda has reportedly backed out on its deal to supply Sauber with customer engines next year, if reports emerging in the German media are to be believed.




This sensational claim by Auto Bild  has fuelled speculation the hapless Japanese manufacturer may well quit Formula One completely.

It is interesting to note that this news coincides with speculation that McLaren has looked into dropping its Honda deal in a bid to switch to a customer engine supplied by Mercedes, Renault or even Ferrari.

But, Sauber will also miss out on their services, with Auto Bild saying the end of the Honda deal leaves them with “no engine” for 2018.

“Honda has dissolved the contract,” said the report.

Another possible reason for this split could be the fact that the deal was brokered by Monisha Kaltenborn, who has since been ousted by the Swiss team’s new owners.

Since then, rumours of continuing ructions at Sauber have swirled.

Blick, the Swiss newspaper, also reported that long-time candidate Beat Zehnder could be named the new team boss, but Sauber announced on Wednesday that the deal with former Renault chief Frederic Vasseur has finally been done.




“Frederic’s long and successful career in top level international motor sport speaks for itself,” said Sauber owner Pascal Picci.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *