- Palmer points to teammate that Hamilton would love to have
- Alonso takes a dig at Honda and points to troubles for Toro Rosso
- Hamilton on why Mercedes will triumph in 2018 and it is not due to the W09
- Alonso reveals why he did not quit F1 despite leaning towards exit
- Vettel offers crisp reply to Ferrari critics
- Hamilton’s ‘oompa loompa’ ex-girlfriend reveals champion’s strange toilet demand
- Hamilton helps Mercedes bag sponsorship deal
- Verstappen responds to Wolff’s early season prediction
- Ferrari boss opens door to staying in F1 if Liberty Media follows instruction
- Halo not disturbing drivers’ vision, but glaring problem remains
Ronaldo keen to upset Messi with Real Madrid demand
- Updated: February 2, 2018
Cristiano Ronaldo has asked Real Madrid to plan a coup and prise away Barcelona target Alvaro Odriozola from under their nose, despite rumours that the 22-year-old is set to move to the Nou Camp at the end of the season.
The Real Sociedad star has enjoyed a fabulous season so far, but few had expected interest in his services to be so high, and that too from two of the biggest clubs in the league.
According to Spanish media outlet Diario Gol, Ronaldo is pushing his team to splash the cash for the youngster, believing that the move will re-affirm the fact that they want to be challenging for top honours once again next season.
Odriozola has spent most of the time on the field as a right-back, but also has the ability to play further up the field.
Real Madrid is currently going through a horror season, with their defence and strike-force equally clueless in a number of games. They trail league leaders Barcelona by a staggering 19 points with just under half the campaign still to play.
With things in such disarray at the club, even the future of Zinedine Zidane is under doubt, with many speculating that he may not stay at the club beyond the summer.
While Ronaldo has already conceded defeat in the league this term, one of the biggest reasons why he wants Odriozola has a lot to do with Messi.
Spanish media outlet Diario Gol has claimed that the Portuguese international knows just how big a fan Messi is of Odriozola, and has been keen to get the club to sign him in a bid to sign him.
This year, Sergi Roberto has regularly played the role of a right back instead of his favoured central role.
Odriozola has made 33 appearances for Real Sociedad since making his debut last year.