- Palmer points to teammate that Hamilton would love to have
- Alonso takes a dig at Honda and points to troubles for Toro Rosso
- Hamilton on why Mercedes will triumph in 2018 and it is not due to the W09
- Alonso reveals why he did not quit F1 despite leaning towards exit
- Vettel offers crisp reply to Ferrari critics
- Hamilton’s ‘oompa loompa’ ex-girlfriend reveals champion’s strange toilet demand
- Hamilton helps Mercedes bag sponsorship deal
- Verstappen responds to Wolff’s early season prediction
- Ferrari boss opens door to staying in F1 if Liberty Media follows instruction
- Halo not disturbing drivers’ vision, but glaring problem remains
- Updated: March 13, 2018
Ferrari driver Sebastian Vettel has claimed that nether he nor his team is too bothered by the impressive test pace of Mercedes and Red Bull in pre-season testing in Barcelona.
While Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas showed that the new Mercedes challenger has got what it takes to be a frontrunner this year as well, Ferrari was alarmingly off the pace, especially during longer runs.
But for Vettel, there was no obvious problem and he claimed that Ferrari would be in the mix once the season got underway.
“Our competitors – Mercedes and Red Bull – used one type of tyre for their race distance simulations, which is something you can’t do in a Grand Prix,” Vettel said, hitting back at the concerns.
“This has an impact on the strategies and ultimately on the result.”
In the second half of last season, Ferrari experienced a severe downturn in race results, paving the way for Hamilton to move past Vettel and eventually win the championship with two races to go.
But, the German insists improvements have been made to the car, which clocked the fastest one-lap speed in Barcelona testing.
“We did not experience any major issues with the car, and I had fun driving it,” Sebastian Vettel said.
“I think we’re starting from a good base with our SF71-H.
“Now we’ll have to work on development to further explore and improve its potential.
“I have a lot of confidence in our team, I know how skilled and committed the guys in Maranello are.”